Cybersecurity is more than a person behind a screen or hackers in hoodies. Cybersecurity is one of the fastest growing career fields and for good reason: cybersecurity is a universal need. Cybersecurity encompasses everything relating to our data and the protection thereof. Let’s look at some cybersecurity facts and stats and reasons why you should join the cybersecurity industry!
Cybersecurity Facts and Stats:
- There is a cyber-attack occurring every 39 seconds, according to a study by the University of Maryland. 1 in 3 Americans are affected by cyber-attacks every year. Furthermore, the number of attacks is increasing, NOT decreasing.
- Kevin Mitnick is the most (In)Famous hacker in the world. Kevin was once on the FBI’s Most Wanted List for hacking more than 40 corporations. Nowadays, Kevin is a trusted security consultant worldwide to Government and Fortune 500.
- 9.7 million healthcare records were exposed in 2020.
- In 2020, healthcare was the most expensive industry regarding the cost of data breaches, totaling at $7.13 million.
- Research has shown that many companies (even large companies) can take 6 months to detect a data breach.
- By 2025, cybercrime is expected to cost the world $10.5 trillion ANNUALLY.
- In 2020, in the United States, a data breach costs a company an average of $3.86 million.
- Human error accounts for 95% of data breaches, according to a report by IBM.
- Since COVID-19 swept the nation, the FBI reported a 300% increase in cybercrimes.
- By 2030, the number of IoT connected devices is expected to reach 125 billion.
7 Reasons Why You Should Join the Cybersecurity Industry
There are what seems to be endless cybersecurity facts and stats, and not to mention most (if not all) of these are increasing at an alarming rate. However, as mentioned above, cybersecurity is a universal need. If you find yourself questioning ‘is cybersecurity the right industry for me, and why?’, here are seven reasons why you should join the cybersecurity industry:
- Cybersecurity has a low to no unemployment rate; hence, job security.
- Careers in the cybersecurity field offer a competitive pay.
- There is always room to grow in this industry, both personally and professionally. Technology continues to evolve as does cybersecurity. There is unlimited growth potential, from learning new and emerging skills and technology to climbing the hierarchy within your field.
- The cybersecurity industry has an ever-increasing demand, with over 520,000 open positions in the United States alone.
- There is an extraordinary number of varying roles within the cybersecurity industry.
- With plenty of variety and continuous learning offered in the cybersecurity industry, you can ditch the monotony.
- You can make a major impact and be part of the change. Not only can you help combat cybercriminals, but you can save organizations millions of dollars, help change cyberspace for the better or save someone from having their heart monitor tampered with.
These are just a few reasons why you should join the cybersecurity industry. If your sights are set on pursuing an impactful career, a world of options are open for you, and you can make a difference while doing so. Take part in changing the cybersecurity facts and stats.
Tags: CyberFacts, Cybersecurity, Cybersecurity careers, Cybersecurity Skills, CyberStats, Education