Network security is very important in today’s world. Network scanning, or rather network vulnerability scanning, has a crucial role to play in regards to the overall security of any enterprise and the data that it handles.
Here is a look at the top 10 useful network vulnerability scanning tools available today.
HackerCombat Network Security Scanner
HackerCombat Network Security Scanner uses ATP (Advanced Threat Protection) to operate. ATP is a the cloud-based filtering service that protects you from unknown malware and viruses. This gives you robust, zero-day, real time protection and protection from harmful links. Sensitive data ex-filtration, port scans, IP protocol scans, etc are the highlights of this security scanner. The other highlights are:
- Scanning perimeter networks for vulnerabilities and threats.
- A detailed network security report.
- Scanning for network security misconfigurations.
- A scan of all devices, checks for all kinds of vulnerabilities.
- Checking for weak passwords, badly configured Proxy Servers, weak SNMP community strings, TLS/SSL ciphers etc.
- A scan for anonymous FTP access, DNS zone transfer, DNS cache poisoning attacks etc.
An open source tool, OpenVAS can be used as a central service. Open Vas provides effective vulnerability assessment tools. These help in vulnerability scanning and in vulnerability management as well. The highlights are:
- Compatible with different OSs.
- Comprehensive vulnerability assessment done, identifies issues related to security in servers and all devices.
- Scan engine constantly updated with Network Vulnerability Tests.
Nexpose Community is an open source tool developed by Rapid7 and used for vulnerability scans and network checks. The highlights are:
- Automatically detecting new devices, evaluating vulnerabilities when the network is accessed.
- It can be incorporated into a Metaspoilt framework.
- Nexpose takes into account the age of the vulnerability, decides fixes based on its priority.
- It monitors vulnerability exposure in real-time.
Nikto is an open source scanner. It is highly in demand for detecting probable issues and vulnerabilities. The highlights of Nikto are:
- Nikto checks if server versions are outdated.
- It performs various tests on web servers and scans hazardous files, programs.
- Tje scanner tests web server in the least possible time.
- It scans HTTPS, HTTPd, HTTP etc and multiple ports of a specific server.
Tripwire IP360 is a vulnerability assessment solution that is in high demand. It is primarily used by enterprises and organizations to manage security risks. Some highlights include:
- The use of a wide-ranging view of the network to spot issues.
- Access to open standards to help integrate risk management, vulnerability management into the different processes of a business.
Wireshark is a widely used network protocol analyzer. Functioning as an extremely powerful scanning tool, the highlights are:
- Wireshark checks networks at a microscopic level.
- It captures issues online while the analysis is done offline.
- It runs on all platforms: Windows, Linux, MacOS etc.
Also known as Aircrack-NG, this vulnerability scanning tool is used by many enterprises and agencies. The highlights are:
- Help in network auditing.
- Focus on all areas of WiFi security.
- Help retrieving lost keys by capturing data packets.
- Supporting multiple operating systems.
Created by Tenable Network Security, this patented scanner is widely used. The highlights are:
- Timely vulnerability assessment that helps block penetrations made by hackers.
- Nessus detects vulnerabilities that permit remote hacking of data.
- It supports multiple operating systems.
Retina CS Community
Retina CS Community is an open source, web-based vulnerability scanning console. It offers centralized, simplified scanning. Highlights includd\e:
- Cross-platform vulnerability assessment.
- Compliance reporting, patching and configuration compliance etc.
- Automated vulnerability assessment for servers, databases, web applications, workstations etc.
- Complete support for virtual environments like vCenter integration, virtual app vulnerability scanning etc.
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer
Known popularly as MBSA, it is best for Windows systems. The highlights include:
- MBSA checks groups of computers for missing updates, mis-configurations, security patches etc.
- It is suited for medium-sized and small-sized organizations.
- It offers solutions and suggestions after vulnerability scanning.
Why invest in any vulnerability scanning system?
There are a lot of scanning systems on the marketing. Know what they do, how they work, and what systems they work with. That way, you can make the best choice to accommodate your specific needs. It is important to keep your information safe, and vulnerability scanning is an important step in that process.